Laundry Detergent Formula
Formula for Liquid Laundry Soap – Front or Top Load Machine
Ingredients / Items Needed
- 4 Cups Hot Tap Water
- 1 Bar Fels-Naptha Soap
- 1 Cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
- 1/2 Cup of Borax
- (A clean) Five-gallon Bucket with Lid
- Large stir stick or spoon
- Used and rinsed laundry detergent or fabric softener jugs (# jugs should equal about 10 gallons)
- Funnel (to fill jugs)
- Permanent Marker (to re-label jugs)
Instructions – Day 1
- Grate the 1 bar of Fels-Naptha Soap and add it to saucepan containing 4 Cups of Hot Tap Water.
- Stir continually over medium-low heat until the Fels-Naptha Soap dissolves and is melted.
- Pour hot tap water into an empty five-gallon bucket until it is HALF FULL.
- Add the following ingredients to the five-gallon bucket that is now half full of hot tap water:
- Fels-Naptha melted soap mixture,
- 1 Cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, and
- 1/2 cup of Borax.
- Stir the mixture of ingredients in the five-gallon bucket until all powder is dissolved.
- Add more hot water to the five-gallon bucket until it is filled to the top.
- Carefully stir the mixture of ingredients in the five-gallon bucket again.
- Cover the five-gallon bucket with the lid and let mixture sit overnight to thicken.
Instructions – Day 2
- The next day, remove the lid on the five-gallon bucket
- Optional: Add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Only add if mixture has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
- Carefully stir the mixture in the five-gallon bucket with a stir stick or large spoon.
- Using the funnel, fill the empty laundry soap jugs/containers HALF FULL with soap mixture and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
- In large and legible writing, label each container/jug of detergent with permanent marker as “LAUNDRY DETERGENT”
- Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
- Top Load Machine – 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
- Front Load Machines – 1/4 Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)
*Arm & Hammer “Super Washing Soda” – may be purchased in some stores or online. Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent – It must be sodium carbonate!!. Original source of formula (from duggarfamily.com) is found here.
Here’s a short video of the detergent being made!
You can also download the Liquid Laundry Soap – Formula.